Walls shelves are quite popular among homeowners and have been for quite some time. This is because they’re not just aesthetic but quite functional too. Here are some of the benefits of having wall shelves in your home:
- They blend in with a sleek, minimalistic look – whether you’re going for a rustic design or a contemporary look, there are wall shelf designs to compliment any aesthetic.
- They’re compact – while your traditional shelves take up a lot of space, wall shelves can be placed in almost anywhere in your home.
- They add to the uniqueness of your home – if you have a very distinctive aesthetic in your house, a wall shelf is the perfecting shelving option to keep that intact. Because they use brackets, there’s room for a wide variety of innovative design possibilities.
- They’re easy to build – this means that you’ll be able to execute your own design vision without paying huge sums of money for a customized build.
So, if you’re eager to build your own wall shelf in your own home, we’ve got you covered. Just adhere to these 3 helpful tips and you’ll be done in no time:
As with any DIY project, you should absolutely take precautions before you get started. Since you’re going to be drilling into a wall, we highly recommend that you wear a mask and place a cloth on the floor where drilling dust would collect while you work.
It’s also best if you learn how to properly operate a drill before you begin and make sure you keep any young children and pets away from this area.
Choose the Right Type of Board
There are a wide variety of shelving boards to choose from and you need to pick one based upon your own unique requirements. Here are a few of the common types of boards:
- Plywood – while not actually wood, their finishes can make you think they are.
- Softwood – these are pretty easy to work with and can support heavy weights.
- Chipboard – these are cheap, common and don’t weigh a whole lot. However, they may not be suited for supporting heavy weights.
- Blockboard – Ideal for supporting heavy items.
As you can see, not every type of shelving board will suit your purpose. Hence, think about how much weight your wall shelf will support, what your budget is and whether the type of shelving board you pick will blend in with the look of the rest of the space.
Choose the Right Type of Shelf Support
In order to mount your shelf to the wall, you’ll have to purchase an L-bracket. There are a variety of L-bracket designs to choose from and we recommend that you use one that matches your already-established interior décor style.
In addition to the right type of shelf support, make sure that you purchase hollow wall anchors to mount the brackets. These are suited for a variety of wall thicknesses and can help your wall shelf support large weights.
These tips should allow you to build a proper wall shelf that meets all of your requirements.